The prevention of a fall in the hospital is essential to optimal patient health and experience. As an integral part of patient safety, the Falls Prevention Safety Program was created to ensure maximum precautions against patient falls. The program spans all units and hospital departments. Read more about our program in our Guide For Preventing Falls Brochure.
- Maintain a list of prescription drugs, nonprescription drugs, and other products, such as vitamins and minerals that you are taking.
- Take this list with you whenever you visit a health care provider and have him or her review it.
- Always ask the doctor or nurse what medications you are being given at the hospital.
- Do not take a drug without being told the purpose for doing so.
- Prior to surgery, ask whether there are medications, especially prescription antibiotics, that you should take or any that you should stop taking preoperatively.
- Prior to discharge, ask for a list of the medications that you should be taking at home, have a provider review them with you, and be sure you understand how these medications should be taken.