• Milestones

  • 1907 - A Humble Beginning

    A Humble BeginningWilliam Howard Craig, MD originally founded San Antonio Regional Hospital at the corner of Arrow Highway and San Antonio Avenue. With only 18 beds and a staff of 5 physicians, the new hospital brought much needed medical care to the beautiful inland valley. Dr. William Howard Craig graduated with a degree in medicine from Johns Hopkins University, known as the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Baltimore, in 1886. He served the Upland community as a general practitioner and surgeon for 37 years.

    1919 - Young Nurses in Training

    Young Nurses in TrainingNot only did the old San Antonio hospital minister to the sick directly, it also conducted a training school for nurses. The San Antonio Hospital School of Nursing graduated its first nurses in 1919. The wage scale during nurses' training began at $1.50 per month for the first year and increased to $2.00 a month for the second and $3.00 for the third. The superintendent of nurses received $100.00 per month. The nurses are shown here having tea in their boarding house—quite a civilized existence!

    1924 - A Community Relationship Grows

    Community Relations GrowFrances Mary Paul, one of the first benefactors, provided $75,000 of the $173,000 needed to build the new San Antonio Regional Hospital building where it stands today on San Bernardino Road. The new hospital employed a staff of 16 with 35 beds and a 20-bed nursery. In today's dollars, Frances Mary Paul's gift would be equal to about $3 million.

    1924 - Wide Open Country

    Wide Open CountryThe new San Antonio Regional Hospital building on San Bernardino Road, just after opening. The setting was peaceful, almost pastoral, with wide-open land spaces.

    1933 - Superior Leadership

    Superior LeadershipThroughout his career Dr. Al Aita was active in the field of hospital administration. His high rating as an administrator was reflected in the many important posts he held in the healthcare field. He became a member of the Western Institute for Administrators in 1938, was chosen a fellow in 1944, and served as a member of its board of regents from 1951 to 1958.

    In 1949, he was appointed to the Hospital Advisory Board of the State of California. Dr. Aita served as president of the Hospital Council of Southern California, California Hospital Association, and Western Hospital Association; regent of the American College of hospital Administrators; and board member of the American hospital Association. All hospitals and the patients they serve have been enriched by his knowledge and experience.

    1940 - Generations of Babies

    Generations of BabiesTwo rows of bassinets line the newborn nursery. Over the last 100 years, generations of Inland Empire families have been born at San Antonio Regional Hospital.

    1943 - The First of Many Greats

    The First of Many GreatsSan Antonio Regional Hospital was the first hospital on the West Coast to manufacture penicillin in its refined state, making the drug available to the public even before it could be released by the government. Dr. Aita began growing the penicillin-mold cultures in his lab. Request for penicillin poured in from hospitals all over Southern California. (Dr. Aita is shown here preparing penicillin.)

    1964 - Room to Grow

    Room to GrowThe hospital doubled in size when a new patient tower was completed in 1964. The cost was $4.5 million.

    On June 8, the hospital admitted patients to the new four-story wing—larger than the previous four building projects combined. The main tower provided 130 new beds in addition to new outpatient facilities, pharmacy, physical therapy, central service, emergency, and laboratory departments, as well as a new radiology department.

    1975 - An Urgently Needed Addition

    An Urgently Needed AdditionThe hospital opened a new Emergency Room, designed to accommodate 35,000 patients per year. Today, the hospital's Emergency Department treats more than 70,000 patients per year.

    1989 - Another Great Milestone

    Another Great MilestoneThe first open-heart surgery was performed at San Antonio Regional Hospital. Today, the Heart Center provides a full spectrum of cardiac services from diagnosis to surgery to cardiac rehabilitation.

    San Antonio Regional Hospital's comprehensive Heart Program offers the very latest in the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of cardiac disorders.

    1990 - Growing with the Community

    Growing with the CommunityRancho San Antonio Medical Plaza opened, bringing access to urgent care, diagnostic, and therapeutic services, along with medical offices to the growing population of Rancho Cucamonga.

    1996 - Touching Our Youngest Generation

    Touching our Youngest GenerationsThe hospital opened a 20-bed dedicated Neonatal Intensive Care Unit, caring for premature and special needs babies. The new intensive care services bring life saving technology to young lives.

    The NICU is staffed by registered nurses, neonatologists, respiratory and occupational therapists, dietitians, and social workers who all have expertise in meeting the special needs of these infants and their families.

    2006 - Another Great Beginning

    Another Great BegninningSierra San Antonio Medical Plaza opened, providing the Fontana area with access to urgent care, pharmacy and lab services, and physician offices, all designed to meet the needs of the burgeoning population in the region.

    The facility also boasts a 3,000-square-foot educational suite where lectures, health screenings, awareness campaigns, maternity and CPR classes are held.

    2015 - Our Name Has Changed. Our Legacy Hasn't.     

    SARH LogoWhen Dr. William Howard Craig began caring for his community over a century ago, our patients came from just a few square miles. As the populations grew, our hospital expanded to meet this growing demand for healthcare services. As the decades passed, our original community hospital with basic services has become a sophisticated healthcare organization that draws patients from throughout the Inland Empire. We literally outgrew our name. 

    2015 - Extending our Region

    Eastvale San AntonioEastvale San Antonio Medical Plaza is San Antonio Regional Hospital's newest satellite facility and brings key medical services to the area. Residents of Eastvale, Corona, Norco, South Ontario, and growing communities across the southeast region of the Inland Empire now have access to the high quality care and excellent services for which San Antonio Regional Hospital is known across the region. The plaza joins Rancho San Antonio Medical Plaza in Rancho Cucamonga and Sierra San Antonio Medical Plaza in Fontana as part of the hospital's network of care.

    Present - San Antonio Regional Hospital Today

    San Antonio Regional Hospital ExpansionThe growth San Antonio Regional Hospital has experienced in its 110-year history has been transformational. The hospital has come a long way since its humble beginnings in 1907, with only 18 beds and a staff of 5 physicians. Today, it is a leading medical center with 363 beds and a staff of over 500 physicians, offering advanced patient care throughout the Inland Empire.